After a rare accident in 1992, a shipping container spilled thousands of bath toys into the ocean. These toys, including lots of rubber ducks, became lost at sea, inspiring a best-selling book called Moby-Duck!
Facts like this are pretty fun, but if you’re interested in buying or hiring a shipping container, these 10 fun facts might be a little more useful!
- Shipping containers are not just big metal boxes – they come in a range of sizes and can be used for a variety of purposes.
American businessman Malcolm Mclean revolutionised the shipping industry by commercialising standard shipping containers in the 1950s. Since then, many different sizes and loading styles have been created for any type of cargo. These include high cubes for added overhead room, and open top or flat rack for heavy or bulky cargo.
- Shipping containers are made from weather-resistant steel and can withstand harsh conditions at sea.
As opposed to break bulk shipping, you can rest assured that any goods you put in a shipping container will be well protected from the elements. Cut out of durable, corrosion-resistant steel, they are welded together with steel casings and weather-proof seals.
- Shipping containers can be stacked on top of each other, making them very efficient for transporting large quantities of goods.
Due to the high volume of goods which are shipped around the world every day in these containers, the convenience of stacking saves a lot of time and money. It’s also useful when designing multi-storey business or living spaces!
- Shipping containers can be converted into homes, offices, shops and even hotels!
One of the more well known interesting facts about shipping containers is their capacity to be used for accommodation or shops. Companies that modify containers are able to add all the necessary customisations to transform them into fully functional living spaces. This includes everything from doors and windows to bathrooms and kitchens.
- Shipping containers are often used as storage units for excess stock or equipment.
Whether you have a thousand shoe boxes you don’t have room for, or just want a place to store your garden equipment, a shipping container offers sturdiness, weather protection, and fully lockable security. A refrigerated container can even be used as short-term storage for a catered event.
- Shipping container depots are located all over the world, making it easy to find one near you.
At any time, there are over a million shipping containers in use worldwide. They come and go from every port in the world, from Los Angeles in the United States to the port of Shanghai. So, no matter where you are, you can always find a reliable supplier.
- You can buy shipping containers new or second-hand, depending on your budget.
When it comes to facts about shipping containers, some of the most helpful facts are about pricing. Although standard shipping containers are surprisingly affordable, it’s good to know that second-hand options are common, bringing the price down even more. And if you need modifications, some come pre-modified as well.
- Shipping containers can be rented if you don’t need to own one outright.
Another cost-effective solution, depending on your circumstances, is renting. Many shipping companies offer both short and long term hire. Often, you can hire for as little as a few dollars a day!
- There are a number of companies that specialise in shipping container transport, so finding someone to help you move your container is easy.
Reputable shipping lines like Shipping Containers Mackay don’t just sell containers. They are also happy to deliver them to your site, transport them between sites, or organise removal once you’re finished with them. They’ll even help you to move house!
- Shipping containers are an environmentally-friendly option for transporting goods as they can be reused multiple times.
Percentage wise, 95 of the worlds cargo is shipped, so it definitely helps that shipping containers are environmentally friendly. Because there are so many uses for containers, they rarely go to waste, and you can always pass them on when you’re done with them!
If you’d like to know more about shipping containers, you can always talk to the friendly team at Shipping Containers Mackay. Just call us on 07 4837 1594, or use our online form for an instant quote!